DIY - OVENBAKED CLAY DISHES FOR THANKSGIVING



DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor

When The Society Co asked me to contribute a DIY for their fabulous lifestyle site, I was so excited to come up with something fun and festive. I decided to do a clay dish DIY, which I had seen a while ago but I wanted to add my own touch to it. Using metallic clay and creating leaf shaped dishes, it turned out even better than what I could have imagined! So enjoy!

DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor
Materials
1. Oven bake clay from Michael's
2. Cookie cutters
3. Rolling Pin
4. Sharp craft knife (optional)
5. Gold leaf pen or gold paint (optional)
6. Oven

DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor

1. Unwrap the clay and roll it with a rolling pin. It is a bit stiff the beginning but becomes easier to roller after a few seconds of rolling
2. Using your desired size cookie cutter, cut the shape out
3. With your fingers slowly bend the edges to make the dish shape
4. This is what the final product should look like

DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor
Now repeat with as many colors as you like.  As I was doing this project, I realized I had bits of clay scraps left over. Not wanting to waste any clay, I combined all the scraps and made it into a ball and repeated steps 1 to 4. 
Result - something even prettier than I could have imagined!

DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor

After making a few clay dishes, I decided to try something a little advanced (but not to worry if you mess up, roll up the clay and begin again!)
1. Roll out one large piece of clay
2. Using a sharp craft knife draw a leaf
3. Cut away the access - which can be used to make more color combinations
4. Using your fingers roll up the edges
5. Final product -Leaf dishes!

DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor

Once done, pre-heat the oven to 230 F (or as stated on  your clay packaging). Let cool for half an hour. Then embellish with the Gold leaf pen, or gold paint.
 DIY: oven baked clay dishes in metallics and fall colours for thanksgiving decor
I love how the clay dishes from the different colors turned out. Beautiful gold and copper dishes mixed with orange and pink; they are great for displaying jewelry, party favors, candle holders or even simply as decor around the house. I hope you enjoyed this DIY, because it is easy and can be done in any color imaginable. (You can even get glittered clay for the kids!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...